Methi Muthia is a delicious snack from the state of Gujarat, India. Tiny leaves packed with nutrients and minerals, kneaded with flour and then either steamed and seasoned or deep fried……that’s Methi Muthia or as some would like to call it ….Fenugreek slice.
Though Methi Muthia / Fenugreek Slice tastes best when served fresh , but what I like most about this snack recipe is that it can be prepared as and when one has the time and also the fresh ingredients and eventually season the Methi Muthia right before serving which freshens up the recipe and makes it taste as good as if made right away.
I usually make Methi Muthia the night before my kids have to go to school and then season it in the morning and put it straight into their school Tiffin boxes. Or if I am expecting some guests and I happen to have Fenugreek leaves in my refrigerator then I quickly prepare the Methi Muthia and season it while I am making the tea for the guests. So basically the point I am driving at is that in this age of modern and hectic schedules, one can do a bit of planning here and there and manage to give healthy and nutritious snacks to kids going to school and also serve homemade low calorie but absolutely delicious and finger licking snacks to the guests.
There are many different proportions for making Methi Muthia , but I have come to use these proportions as I find this one tasting the best so far. The beauty of an age old traditional recipe lies in their being so versatile that they can be altered and changed many times over but they taste great always. So here is how I make Methi muthia for my family and friends:
Ingredients for making the Methi Muthia
1. Two cups Plucked , washed and finely chopped Fenugreek leaves , loosely packed and then measured in cups
2. One cup whole wheat flour (Aata).
3. One cup gram flour (Besan).
4. One tablespoon fine Semolina.
5. Two teaspoons sugar.
6. Two tablespoons refined oil (I prefer Sunflower Oil).
7. One fourth teaspoon turmeric powder.
8. Half a teaspoon Coriander Powder.
9. One level teaspoon roasted Cumin seed powder.
10. One tablespoon grated Ginger.
11. One green chilli finely chopped or more if you like it spicy.
12. Salt to taste or one and a quarter teaspoon.
13. Two three tablespoons of curd / yogurt to bind the dough , even water can be used.
For Seasoning the Methi Muthia
1. Three to five Tablespoons of refined oil.
2. Half a teaspoon of mustard seeds.
3. Seven to ten curry leaves.
4. A generous pinch of Asafoetida.
5. One tablespoon of white sesame seeds.
Method of making Methi Muthia / Fenugreek slice
1. Place all the ingredients from one to twelve in a flat basin .
2. Mix the ingredients and then knead with the water or curd.
3. Keep aside while you prepare the vessels for steaming the Methi Muthia.
4. Take a large vessel and place the perforated plate in it and fill up approximately 600 ml of water and keep on medium flame.
5. Grease an aluminium tin big enough to fit into the large vessel.
6. Divide the dough into two and shape into cylindrical pieces and place in the aluminium tin.
7. When the water begins to boil, lower the tin into the vessel and cover and let cook on a little more than medium flame for about 18 – 20 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in the dough comes out clean.
8. When the Methi Muthia is cooked, remove the tin from from the vessel and let cool to room temperature.
9. Cut the Methi Muthia into about half an inch thick slices. At this stage the Methi Muthia can be refrigerated to be used later.
For Seasoning the Methi Muthia
10. Take oil in a heavy based pan and let it get warm on medium flame.
11. Add the mustard seeds and the moment they begin to splutter, add the curry leaves, asafoetida, sesame seeds and then the Methi Muthia slices one by one.
12. Toss the Methi Muthia so that the seasonings get coated nicely to all the slices and serve immediately or pack them for school Tiffin or picnic meals.