Scones is described by Wikipedia as a single serving cake or quick bread. Whenever I think of Scones , the picture that comes to my mind is of a little round table , covered with a floral print tablecloth, beautiful chinaware , a few scones , a beautiful house overlooking the lake , in short a picture of complete “Bliss”.
Apple Cheddar scones are my all time favorite. The sweetness and crunchiness of the Apple goes very well with the salty savoury cheddar cheese. A perfect pure vegetarian snack to pack for your children’s school tiffin or for a friend or relative who is travelling , a make ahead tea time or breakfast snack , in short its all good things put into one. I would soon be coming up with a whole new variety of scones to enjoy and share with friends and loved ones. Till then enjoy my Apple Cheddar Scones.
1. 225 grams all purpose flour
2. 50 grams salted butter chilled and cubed
3. Half a cup / 125 ml milk at room temperature , add a teaspoon of lemon juice and keep aside till you assemble the other ingredients
4. 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
5. ¼ teaspoon of Baking Soda
6. 2 – 4 tablespoons of Castor Sugar depending on the sweetness of the apple
7. One medium apple diced into small cubes about 1 ½ or 1 ¾ cups , sprinkle a teaspoon of lemon juice to prevent from discolouring and also to have a pleasant tang
8. One cup grated cheddar cheese loosely packed ( I use Britannia )
1. Preheat the oven to 220 ° C.
2. Butter a flat baking sheet.
3. In a mixing bowl ,combine the flour , baking powder and soda and sugar .
4. Add the butter and gently rub in till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Stir in the cheese and the buttermilk and knead for a few minutes till you get a soft and elastic non sticky dough. If required you could add a tablespoon or more of water.
6. Knead in the diced apple.
7. Place the dough on the buttered baking sheet and gently pat it into a 9 inch circle.
8. Cut into 8 wedges and gently separate them ( I just cut and mark them).
9. Place in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or till the scones turn into a beautiful golden brown.
10. Enjoy as it is or with Jam and cream. I like them best wtih a piping cup of coffee.